View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you store your tying materials to keep away pests?

I buy materials from clean stores, and then store them in airtight tupperware (like Mosca said). The tubs don't get too large--10"x14" inches, roughly--so if there is a problem, it won't spread to all of my materials....hopefully. If a batch of materials looks suspicious, I toss it in the freezer for a few weeks, look it over, and then toss it in with the tupperware stuff. Also, I only take out materials as I need them. If I need hackle to tie a dozen Adams, I take out the feathers I think I'll need, and then replace the package before beginning to tie. There are a few materials that I use often enough that I leave them out: peackock herl, a patch of deer body fur, any leftover saddle hackle from previous tying sessions, a pheasant tail, and some tailing feathers. Materials left out are not returned to the tupperware, and stuff dropped on the carpet is definitely not put in with the protected materials. I have a LOT of fur and feathers, and this method has kept me pest-free for years. Keeping the area around your materials clean can't hurt either. When I read stories about pests in tying materials, it's often someone tying in their basement, or storing materials in old yard sale desks.