View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Kayak or Pontoon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi KngFhearts,

It all comes down to what you want to do with your boat. A kayak is great for covering water and you sit low so the wind is not as much of a problem. The Pontoon is very stable but blows around in the wind a bit more. With a pontoon you can use flippers to help position or turn the boat with out using your hands. With a kayak you have to pick up a paddle to turn it.

I would not buy a kayak unless you give one a try. They are not as comfortable to sit in as your feet are relatively straight out in front of you. I find sitting in a kayak uncomfortable but then being 76 has a lot to do with that. If you fish rivers the pontoon is the winner for sure. On a lake the pontoon can be a pain to cover distance. A hard shell kayak will last more years that an inflatable pontoon just because of the construction.

I am not sure I have helped but these small boats have a lot to do with personal preference. What might work best for me would not be best for you. Just think about how you want to use it and pick the boat that best fits those needs.

Frank
Frank covered it quite well.

I think it boils down to this- pontoons are better to fish from and kayaks are a more efficient vehicle. If you're going to use the craft to get around and then get out and wade, I'd go with a kayak. If you're going to fish from it, you're better off with a pontoon.

For solo use on lakes, I'd probably go with one if these- Discovery 119 Canoe - Old Town Canoes and Kayaks

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.