View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 PM

Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need different rod for streamers?

I was going to add, I fish a JWF and a TFO Pro 10' plus a Far and Fine. All medium to slow. I have been fishin this way for many years and just watched a Kelly Galloup video and he does the same thing.
First off, I DO NOT WEIGHT MY FLIES. As you said, they add to the casting problem plus they hand right at the bottom no matter how long of leader.
I also HATE sink tips because they are WAY TOO HEAVY. I can cast a full sink VII line with ease but as you said, it is a workout with sink tips.
I use a full sink line to put my flies where I want. Now I am not talking Haresears, Pleasant tails, etc. nymphs that have a few wraps of lead or a bead, I am talking STREAMERS. NO CLOUSERS for this kid or at least no weighted dumbbell eyes. I generally use a TYPE II full sink and love it. Easy to cast, even with a glass or bamboo rod. I then start with a 4' leader (which is generally straight fluoro cause presentation doesn't really matter).
Netflix carries "Fishing Streamers for Trophy Trout" by Kelly. Check it out.