View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Walter - By all accounts I've heard furled are like braided, but much preferred because they don't pick up micro-float-sum, get dirty and sink.

Your other point brings up the issue of loop to loop connections. If you use a short butt section - as close to your line stiffness - nail-knotted to the line, do you use a loop to loop then for changing leaders mid-stream and or do you feel that is to much of a hinge and cut and re-nail knot a new leader?
I have used 6' tapered braided butts from Orvis for 26 years. I insert the tip of the line into the hollow braid and seal it with Zap-a-Gap then 12-turn nail knot a section of 0X to the tip of the braid and build down conventionally to a 4 to 5' tippet section. This leader is typically abouat 14' long for my #4 & 5 outfits and is used on technical dry fly water. For #6 I use hand built hard to medium to supple mono leaders. I do a 12-turn nail knot to the tip of the line with .022 stiff RIO and blood knot on down to my tippet where I switch to a ligiture knot. This leader is used from a drift boat or for less technical larger fly casting (Salmon Flies anyone?). For salt I nail knot a 4' section of #40 fluro and here, because wind determins the length of leader I want to use, I form a small perfection loop which mates to the same on the next #30 section. I will have a pair of all fluro leaders built, one of about 9' and another going 13 - 15 feet. These are used on #8 & 9 riggs for bonefish and striped bass on the flats. I change leaders VERY infrequently, re-building as necessary during the course of a fishing trip or even a full season. Barring an extreme misshap, the braided leaders last the 3 year life span of a fly line.

How does one affix a furled leader to the tip of the fly line and what quality of energy transfer is achivable?