View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

I used hand tied leaders but realized the main reason they are hand tied is to get a taper that transmits energy smoothly. I now use knotless tapered leaders because the steps in size are seamless and ultra smooth. Having no algae-grabbing knots is just a plus.
I guess I'm just new-fashioned!
I feel the same about bamboo fly rods. They've spent over a century trying to come up with the attributes plastic fly rods easily provide.

For very small streams I make short thread-based furled leaders. Many times you don't have any line out past the rod tip so it is great having the furled leaders act just like a fine fly line. You can cast and throw beautiful loops with just the leaders alone. That is great for really tight spots.

Side note: Everyone knows that Maxima always measures in 0.001-2" oversized, right?