View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Favorite number of rod pieces?

I've been a 3pc rod fan for a while, but I feel myself drifting toward a preference for 4pc rods.

I think 3 pc rods are the best blend of portability and less joints. I agree that fly rod manufacturers have figured out how to make multi piece rods that have the same action as a 2 piece, but you can't get around the fact that more pieces means more possible places for the rod to come apart, and added weight. Added weight is necessary because the seperate pieces of a joint is inherently weaker than an unjointed blank, so it requires extra material to be as strong. The added weight may be less than a half ounce, but it can be enough to make that really light reel you want not balance the rod, or to be more tiring at the end of the day.

Four piece rods however break down to a still smaller portable package, and offer the option of pulling them apart in the middle to more easily be stowed in your vehicle when moving to a different spot, or put into a 2pc case/tube. You also will more likely have the option of putting the thing into a duffel for travel. (still not sold on this idea personally, but might be some day.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.