View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 PM

rangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud ofrangerrich99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bending the wrist and tailing loops

As I am still learning to cast properly (I have only been flyfishing for about 3 years), take this with a grain of salt.

Last year I noticed while casting on a day when I wasn't catching a lot of fish that I got tailing loops when I stopped my forearm early in the forward stroke and then allowed my wrist to tip or rock forward. Since that day, I've made a concerted effort to eliminate this tipping motion in my shorter casts, and this seems to have cured my tailing loop issues in these situations.

This year, I finally learned to double haul with some consistency, but I've noticed more knots in my tippets again, consistently within 4-6 inches of the fly. After reading some of the posts in this thread, I believe that I probably am waiting too long on my back cast to start my forward cast, resulting in line drop and then tailing loops.

Of course, I've noticed that regardless of how I cast, my wrist bends to some degree on every cast. But I think after watching some videos, that at least for me, my problems with tailing loops come when I allow that tipping motion (the rod actually gets to horizontal of even pointed slightly downward at the end of a stroke).

As to opening a loop, I've been working on that as well, and I get my best results when I allow the rod tip to drift down about 6 inches, after my rod stop. My problem is, that this is an extra thing to do while double hauling; kind of like patting your head, rubbing your tummy, and crossing/uncrossing your toes all at the same time. needless to say, I don't always get it right.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark