View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bending the wrist and tailing loops

Quote:
After reading some of the posts in this thread, I believe that I probably am waiting too long on my back cast to start my forward cast
Ranger, I think it is probably more likely that you are starting the forward haul too soon. Try delaying it as long as possible on the forward cast, so that it doesn't end until just after the forward stop. And try stopping a little lower on your forward stroke.

You might have to pantomime that without a rod to overcome muscle memory.

Cheers,
Jim

---------- Post added at 07:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 AM ----------

Quote:
A tailing loop develops when two things happen; 1. the plane of the rod tip drops (gets lower; which a wrist bend at the end of your casting stroke will definitely do for you) and 2. you delay your casting stroke (you're late starting either your forward or back cast.). Both of these things can give you a tailing loop; but they usually happen together; you lower the plane of your rod tip and you're late on your casting stroke.
Pocono,

Actually, that's not quite right. Let's say you are making a cast perfectly horizintal to the ground. If you were to draw a straight line above your head parallel with the ground, what the rod tip does beyond 2:30 and 10:30 has not that much to do with the cast - and will not in itself cause tailing loops.

In order to get a tailing loop the tip must both bend and unbend within that 2;30 -10;30 arc. It's path, if drawn in relation to the horizontal line would hold some water somewhere within it.

What actually causes the rod to bend and unbend within the casting arc can have a huge variety of causes.

Slack in the line is one of them. But what causes slack in the line?

1) Starting the forward cast too soon (particularly with a wide loop that has not unrolled) is one of them because that wide loop is the equivalent of slack. The more I think about it, this is probably one of the most common causes of tailing loops.

2) Starting the forward cast way too late after a super backcast (usually while shooting line into the backcast) with a very tight loop. After the line unrolls, it stretches and springs back, ( sometimes even after bending the rod back) creating slack in the line. This is not very common because people with that kind of backcast usually have the reverse timing down.

3) Or waiting too long before the forward cast on a high backcast and allowing a large sag to form in the line between the tip and the fly. This could also cause a tail and is the one whch you are probably referring to, Pocono, which I hadn't really thought about.

Other causes of tailing loops include, hauling too early, rotating the rod too fast and too early, and an abrupt application of force. These are usually lumped under the heading of "improper application of force'.

Using too short a casting arc, using a high trajectory back cast with a high trajectory forward cast.

The best way to get a good forward cast is to work on your backcast.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-23-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Edit in red