View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Casting Distance?

Y'all are right about not needing to cast more than 30' with any "trout" rod. I still catch the vast majority of fish within 30', if not 20'. Accuracy is of course much more important than distance. Presentation is also more important than distance. In theory, if you're fishing a 3wt, you're wanting to take advantage of that line's ability to settle on the water very gently. Casting in a way that works best over 50 feet often does not lead to gentle presentations. I only make those long casts when I am fishing a pond and am too lazy to walk all the way over to the other side.

So in this case laziness, not necessity is the mother of my inventing a reason to double haul with a 3 wt. That and learning how to cast with an 8wt on the Coast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.