View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 04:34 AM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Salmon and Steelhead Fly Swap, Spring 2011

Those are some good looking flies. Thanks Mark for coordinating the swap! Thanks also to everyone for participating. I am looking forward to throwing these at the salmon up here. If I manage to land fish on any of them I will let the tyers know. Back during the winter swap, Mark tied up some stone fly nymphs with a bit of orange in the head. I hammered arctic grayling on them.

I can see Sockeye, Chinook, and Coho all chasing a few of those patterns and Humpies chasing them all. Kudos everyone.

As for the ones I tied, I used Russian River legal hooks. In case you ever come to AK to fish, you will be legal on the world famous Russian River. Normally I would throw a wrap of .035 lead on most of my salmon flies, but on that river they must be unweighted. So keep in mind that any weight like split shot must be 18" above the fly.
This is generally a sight fishing place, so I added a bit of flash to the flies as much so the fisher can spot the fly and strip it accordingly towards the sockeye heading up stream more than anything. If you have questions or advice on how to improve the flies let me know.