Thread: Overloaded
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Cast Like A Pro
dougm will become famous soon enoughdougm will become famous soon enough

Unless your rod manufacturer screwed up (that happens), I generally oppose overlining with the exception of close-in work --30 to 40-feet or less.

The reason is the actual weight of the line compared to line weight aerialized during the cast. I've explained my reasoning before, most recently in a product update on Cortland's new 444 Precision Taper half-step llines. You might want to read the article:

The only line I've found that is an exception to the rule is Cortland's Classice 444 Sylk I also recently review. The 5-weight Sylk cast equally well on rods from 4 to 6-weight. Of course, the Sylk is quite different in its characteristics from other lines. That review is available at both Active Angler or Land Big

In the heavier weights - 9 through 12 - I always underline ... sometimes one but more frequently, two line weights. In fact, for long casting, my favorite rig is a light 12-weight that sends Cortland's old 444SL XRL a very long way.

You can find a further discussion of line weigjhts in a series (actually a chapter) from my book, Fly Fishing for the Rest of Us, called, All About Lines. It is available at either site.

Overlining is a gimmick used by a number instructors and schools simply because it shortens the time it takes to get the student to "feel" the rod load. I prefer to teach the student to watch the backcast and "see" the rod load. Down the road, overling leads to collapsed casts and broken rods...

Hope this helps.
Forum Moderator

Fly Fishing with Doug Macnair