Thread: Bimini knot
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bimini knot

Riekky,

I would not use either a bimini or a bite tippet for tarpon that size. Schoolie tarpon and the big ones we have in the keys during the migration do not hang out together.

The ones I fish for during the migration run 80 lbs at the smallest up to huge, so you do not know what size fish will bite, only that it will be bigger than 80 lbs. Even 80 lb fish take a while to get in, so you really need a bite tippet for them too.

After the migration is over, the Schoolies are caught around bridges in the Keys, and in the Everglades rivers, lakes inlets and so on. Gurglers are very popular flies in the Everglades for small tarpon, and they do not track properly with bite tippets. No small flies will track properly with thick bite tippets.

For a bimini to work, it has to be on both ends of the class tippet. The class tippet is the weakest part of the line by a bunch, from the fly all the way to the arbor knot on the reel spool.

The Bimini is the strongest knot to make a loop with. So you make two Bimini loops, and use the doubled ends to tie knots to the stronger lines (the leader Butt and Bite tippet). That way, those knots tied with doubled ends of the weak line will not break. The heavier lines will not break either. So the line will break somewhere along the class tippet.

Quote:
When I'm done tying, one part of the loop is curled. Probaly I use to much pressure.
If you are pre-rigging flies for loop to loop connections, the end with the loop should be twisted before tying that doubled section into a doubled loop with a surgeon's knot. This makes the loop managable, keeps both strands of the loop the same size, and provides the shock-absorber Diver Dan was talking about. The length of the double twisted line and the quadruple twisted line is up to you.

The other end doesn't matter because it will be going through either an overhand or partially closed surgeon's (looks like a figure 8) "stop knot" in the bit tippet. On the other side of the stop knot, I tie 4 overhand knots around the bite tippet, then finish off with a Huffnagel.

But, again, unless you are going for a class record, I wouldn't bother with all that.

If you do not understand what I'm talking about I could make a short video for you.

Cheers,
Jim