Re: is this a good deal?
A couple of things:
1) a spey rod rating is different than a one handed rod rating. A 5 weight spey is like a 7 weight one handed rod
2) Is it a good deal? Well, first of all you need to go to a spey clave and cast a bunch of rods, because 2 rods at the same price, will be deemed better by different people.
3) the rod is $790? But it isnt a z-axis, meaning it is a older rod. Is it even a current rod?
4) I have cast Deer Creek's (by TFO) and the only rod I found to cast better was a top end CND. The $350 DC was much better than Sages.
5) A line is being thrown in? Which line is it? A line on a spey rod is the most important part. Put a CND GPS line a crappy rod and it will cast decently, put a windcutter on top end rod and it will cast like a crappy rod. A Rio Power Spey is almost as good as a gps tho. Buy a Deer Creek with a rio power spey (think that is the corrrect name, it will be close enough that you will be able to figure it out.)