View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 10:05 PM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leader to Fly Line with Super Glue??

Knot less connections.
First let me say this. I was first shown this technique by my close friend Dave Whitlock many years ago, and it is one l use on all my floating line set ups for many reasons.
This connection, if done correctly is stronger than any knot that you will use below it.
I note that Cliff is a little concerned to use it for his lines above a 3wt. I can assure you guys that l have used this for very large trout and saltwater species.
I guess l set the leader in about 1/2 inside the fly line.

You can find how to do this in the L.L.Bean Fly Fishing handbook, page 35.
Umpqua also produce the No knot kit.

You must use the correct glue and that is Zap A Gap.

I will add this. Any connection that you use for leader to fly line should periodically be renewed as you will start to cause stress at this point. 1/2 ins of fly line is no loss.

Cliff, just to say that 3 evenings ago l nailed a Brown of 7.10oz here on the white river.
That fish took a small scud to 6x on a 12ft overall leader/tippet. The last thing on my mind was the fly line/leader connection, more the 6x connections to leader and fly !!

But l will admit if l am using line above 8 wt l do not use it, as in that case l am not looking for perfect surface presentations with any degree of surface disturbance that other connections will likely cause, either at put down or during the dead drift.

In fact l make up my leaders in a special way, which l will let you know about in a further post related to nymph tactics.

Tight lines guys,

Davy Wotton.

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS