View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: MAD river in ohio?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaynie37 View Post
it is very quite possible i mistakenly called them "native" and the may really be "wild". i know ohio is not known for its trout streams BUT there are some if you know where to look.

my favorite is the clear fork of the mohican down past wooster ohio. i go there often and have pulled some very nice browns out.

my friend is the one who told me about the mad river and i cant remember if he said native or wild.

i just wanted to gain some knowledge if anyone had fished it before going out there blind.

i will use this advice and will have to post what i find when i do go down there. i am always open to new waters in my state.

as a fly fisherwoman ohio isnt the best state to find trout BUT.... the waters we do have here can produce some amazing fishing if you know where to go.

thanks
amanda
There are a few streams; even some "native" trout streams...I know of some native brookies up here in Geagua county about 15 miles from me. They have special regulations for that preserve...their no fishing regulations are STRICTLY enforced. My brother and I spent quite a bit of time on the ClearFork and usually ended up with some fish every time. He got surprised by a 3 lb smallmouth while fishing a wooly bugger one day! We then realized that we could fish in PA with about the same distance drive and havn't been to Mohican for the last couple of years. I also never noticed alot of bug/topfeeding activity at the Clearfork. Since you are talking OH trout fishing, have you ever had any success at Apple Creek? I've been twice, but conditions were less than optimal and I didn't even see a fish to cast to.

And I'm with ya Amanda; boo for Ohio trout streams . They are few and far between and nearly ALL are stocked as put and take fisheries, not preserved to be natural trout habitat. However, if your friend is catching 25" trout in the Mad that is quite large!!! They must be holding over after stocking for a few years.

Good luck, and please do give a report. I too am always looking to learn about my home state's trout opportunities.
-Jason