View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monster Trout Tease

This morning while fishing I was fortunate to witness a truly eye opening event and wanted to share it with everyone.

I had just cast my fly and it hadn't been on the water more than 2 seconds when the wake of a big fish appears and is headed toward my fly from about 10 feet out. Neither fin nor tail ever appears above surface but the fish is pushing a wake over 2 inches high. About 4 feet from my indicator the fish does a quick broadside turn and raises a wake from the turn that is instantly over 3 feet long and 6 inches high. With that turn he disappears and is gone.

What I believed happened is the monster was coming for a trout rising to my fly. No other fish but trout live in this section of the river and I am quite certain judging from the wake size and the fact the fish never actually broke surface that it must have weighed at least 30 lbs.

Even though I now know where the brute lives it doesn't do me much good as I only have a 5 wt rod, so the fish is safe for now...lol Gotta start thinking about up-sizing some streamers though in preparation for a new fly rod.

Dave