View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Veiled Language in Posts;

Ard, The following is not meant to be a argument! However, I hope it does make us all think a little.

I will admit that I have veiled a couple words in a way that was obvious what I was doing. I guess to me the only thing that tends to offend me is statements made that regardless the words used are obviously meant to be aggressive or offensive to another forum member. Then again I spent a great deal of my time in the past as part a group that investing a great deal of time judging those outside the group and those within that would not conform. As a result I personally have kind of gone to the extreme of not caring much about whether someone uses a bad word. I have to admit unless its every other word that comes out someones mouth or in their writing I just don't get offended and I have to admit getting offended over an occasional bad word IMO is childish. That doesn't mean that I will not go along with this, but IMO and in my experience on this forum I have read posts that I found offensive for the lack of civility and none of them have been posts I've read that had veiled obscenity, but often they did have what came across IMO as passive aggression toward another forum member...isn't that veiled aggression. Isn't that going to cause others to feel unwelcome more then an occasional bad word. I say it does as I've actually had conversations with active forum members who consider not coming back as a result of it. IMO its more often than not the intent and attitude of a post that makes it vulgar or obscene or not.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 07-10-2011 at 11:46 PM.