View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newb with casting and line problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly rick View Post
Silver Creek,

YES, when the water is deep I hit it on the back cast. I s'pose I need to figger a different way.
So, bass taper line, don't wade so deep, have wife get vid of me and earplugs so I can't hear the fish teasing me.
Thanks again,
Rick
P.S. should I seal the end of my line before tying the leader on? I did not. I use a nail knot.
If you are hitting on the back cast, I suspect you are waving the rod thought a wide angle - this is the classic windshield washer cast. A proper backcast should direct the fly angled up or at most level so it should not hit the water.

Use a nail knot using about .020" stiff nylon mono. I use 25 lb test brown Maxima Chameleon. Cover the nail knot with Pliobond or some other pliable glue. This smooths the surface of the knot to form a smooth transition that is less likely to catch on the guides.

Then tie a perfection loop to the end of the mono. The mono and loop should be about 6-8" in length. Then use the loop to connect to the leader with a loop to loop connection.

If you do not have .020 mono, nail knot the butt end of a new leader to the end of the fly line and coat the knot with Pliobond. Once the leader is trashed cut it off about 1 foot of the end of the fly line and put a perfection loop on the remaining butt section of the leader. Connect the new leader with a loop to loop connection.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy