Thread: Bimini knot
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bimini knot

First off if you are going for a line class record, use a line that you know will break at the desired point. I use ANDE mono for that. Next only use knots that are 100% line strength knots. Blood knots for putting the sections of your leader together and a trilene knot for tying the fly on. The only knot I use that isn't 100% line strength is the perfection loop at the line end of the leader. But because you are at the fat end it does not have to be because it will still take more to break than your class tippet. I do use a bimini twist sometimes, but only when I have toothy fish I'm going for or I am just tired of loosing flies to the stray ones I come across. Are you going for a toothy species? If so I can make a detailed diagram of how to do it and still have your leader break at the desired point. I have used this leader on a couple of line class records and they broke where they were supposed to so I know it works.

OK I just looked back through the posts, and it looks like you are going for a Tarpon. What record are you looking at breaking?