As a matter of fact, I have a great story for you. This is true.
One January morning a few years ago, I was fishing the Lower MT. Fork River at Beaver’s Bend State Park in Oklahoma. It was a frigid 18 degrees that morning. It was one of those mornings where you had to frequently break the ice from your guides so the fly line would pass through. I was wearing some fleece fingerless gloves but my fingers were still numbing cold.
I caught a few rainbows on nymphs until a midge hatch started coming off. It was a huge hatch. Trout were rising like mad. I scooped up a midge to determine the color and size. It was cream and about a size 26. As fumbled through my fly boxes I thought I was out of luck until I found one cream midge size 26. My fingers had lost all dexterity due to the cold. As I awkwardly tied on the midge I accidentally got it caught in one of my fleece gloves. It was stuck well. By the time I got it out all of the material was off. So… there I was with a bare hook tied on with no other flies to match. As I stood in the middle of that rise with my mind racing as to what I could do, I came up with a wild idea that might just work. Like most fly vests, mine had a wool patch above the upper-front pocket. It was a little creamish in color. So… I pinched off several strands and twisted on the hook. I had no means of permanently securing it to the hook so I just twisted it real hard. I cast out… nothing happened. I decided it was too much material. Now I pulled off only a few strands of wool and twisted it on real well. I cast it out… and boom... a nice rainbow attacked it. I got it in and released it. The wool was gone, of course, so I twisted a few more strands on and continued to work the hatch. I made many drifts during that hatch. The wool would only stay on for one drift so I had to replace it after each pass. I caught about six fish or so with that method before the hatch dissipated.
Only my close friends truly believe my story and I’m not real sure about them. However, the story is true.