View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Yellowstone Angler 8 Weight Shootout Discussion

So there's a big suprise in the 8 weight shootout results.....the Temple Fork BVK came in 2nd, although it did not score as favorably as others in the "performance only category". The St. Croix Legend Elite also continues to impress, especially at its price point. The biggest shock for me is the rating for the Hardy ProAxis rod. The results were as follows:

Overall Results (note also the performance only category on the website)
1) Loomis NRX
2) TFO BVK
3) Sage Xi3
4) Loomis CrossCurrent
4) St. Croix Legend Elite
5) Orvis Helios
6) Redington CPX
7) Loomis Native Run
8) Scott S4S
9) Sage VXP
10) Hardy ProAxis
11) Orvis Access
12) Winston BIIMX
13) St. Croix Imperial

As far as performance only criteria were concerned, it appears that the Loomis NRX and CrossCurrent GLX rods were the best, along with the St Croix Legend Elite, Sage, Xi3, and TFO BVK in the second grouping. The biggest downside for the BVK is that there isn't a case that comes with the rod, however for the $250 price, you could purchase a case and still have money to burn.

It seems like George was more objective in this shootout and focused on rationalizing the results of the shootout, while mentioning that price and individual style come into play when purhcasing a rod. I definitely give him kudos for that. Does anyone have any thoughts or feedback on the results? I'd be interested to hear if others experiences with these rods have been similar.

Additional info can be found at: 8weightshootout.saltwaterflyrodreview.flyrod.compa rison.flyrodtest.LoomisNRX.HardyProAxis.BVK.St.Cro ix.LegendElite.SageXi3

YouTube video explanation of results:

Last edited by chicagojohn; 07-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.