Thread: Bimini knot
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 07:03 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Default Re: Bimini knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekky View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if a bimini knot is really necessary in a tarpon leader. Now a days I see a lot of leader formula without a bimini knot.

Do you all uses bimini knot in your tarpon leaders for tarpon smaller than 125 lbs?

Riekky
No it is not necessary, unless you wish get 100% out of class tippet material. It also is not necessary unless you prefer no shock absorbtion. On the other hand it is a good thing to use a tippet rated less than your fly line core or backing lb test as this will break rather than losing your line and backing. Most heavier line cores range from 25-30 lb test so using a class tippet of 22 lb test is probably a very good thing. Adding another restriction, mobility, it's likely best to consider whether you are mobile as in fishing from a boat, kayak, etc or wading as this allows you to follow the fish and take strain off your outfit. Personally I use a class tippet for all Tarpon Leaders for these reasons.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekky View Post
Hi there,

I was wondering if a bimini knot is really necessary in a tarpon leader. Now a days I see a lot of leader formula without a bimini knot.

Do you all uses bimini knot in your tarpon leaders for tarpon smaller than 125 lbs?

Riekky
No it is not necessary, unless you wish get 100% out of class tippet material. It also is not necessary unless you prefer no shock absorbtion. On the other hand it is a good thing to use a tippet rated less than your fly line core or backing lb test as this will break rather than losing your line and backing. Most heavier line cores range from 25-30 lb test so using a class tippet of 22 lb test is probably a very good thing. Adding another restriction, mobility, it's likely best to consider whether you are mobile as in fishing from a boat, kayak, etc or wading as this allows you to follow the fish and take strain off your outfit. Personally I use a class tippet for all Tarpon Leaders for all these reasons, plus turnover.

Many years back when the world was flat and brook trout were the size of Great White Sharks, Hell I was there, to paraphrase a couple of famous gun writers. The "there," in this case was the old, and one of the earliest forums, the Fly Fishing Review Forum where I hung with interesting characters such as Bill Nash, Colston Newton, Carlos Heinsohn and others. Bill especially had a technical bent and went on to self publish a great book on tying knots and more which you can order from him last I heard. On knots he and I both were using a combination of knot against knot, against the scale and in that forum would argue the results of our latest rounds of testing. Here's a list of knots and what you can expect that came from his research there and elsehwere and published in his book:

Blood - 60-80% (hard nylon strongest)
Doubled 8 - 100% (2x & smaller)
Surgeons - 85% (3-turn)
Surgeons - 100% (4-turn)
Surgeons Loop - 85% (2 turn)
Surgeons Loop - 95% (3 turn)
Nail Knot - 70%
Sheet Bend - 75%
Non-Slip Mono Loop - 95%+
Perfection Loop - 95%
Duncan - 95% + (with 7 turns)
Becker - 95% + (8x to 0/4x)
Trilene - 95% +
Albright - 75%
Bimini - 100% even after repeated stress

Now your results may differ but if tied correctly then pulled tight with lube, your set of figures may differ slightly but will mirror these in order of strongest to weakest, or I miss my bet. By the way FC is different from Mono which varies from braid considerably. A good tip is to use lip balm, with an SPF factor to lube the knots with as saliva can range from slick to dry.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/