View Single Post
Old 06-19-2008, 06:17 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: lake erie mayfly hatch

this was in my morning paper today. that naturalist got it all wrong! she got midges confused with mayflies?? a canadian soldier is a species of mayfly commonly known as hexagenia. she is describing midges that also hatch and saying that these are in fact mayflies instead??? I wrote the journal to let them know of the mixup. hopefully they fix it or everyone will think midges are mayflies and so forth! heres the article. this is a metro parks naturalist to boot haha...

"Summertime is upon us which means hot weather, swimming, cookouts, graduation parties and unfortunately, bugs. It's bad enough mosquitos are out biting everything in sight, but residents of Lorain can expect a visit from a couple of other unwanted insects, better known as Canadian soldiers and Mayflies. The Canadian soldier, which many people describe as a ''big mosquito,'' is coming back for its yearly visit.
People who live near the lake can expect to see a swarm of these annoying critters.
''The biggest misconception is that Canadian soldiers and Mayflies are the same,'' said Mary Ewers, a Lorain County Metro Parks naturalist.
Ewers said that Mayflies are smaller and make a high-pitched buzzing sound, and begin to come around in mid-May. Canadian soldiers are longer-tailed and their wings stick up like a butterfly and arrive at the beginning of summer.

heres a mayfly. actually says Common names for mayflies include "dayfly", "shadfly", "Green Bay Flies", "Canadian soldier", and "fishfly" Mayfly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

heres a midge aka muckleheads or sandflies as I call um.. Chironomidae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.