View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What vest works for you?

Hard to say, I've been using mostly a fanny pack here lately, but I can get away with that because my bass/panfish outings don't require nearly the variety of tackle that trout fishing does. I've got both a vest (patagucci reinvest) and a chest pack (WJ gear bag chest) tha I like very well. I use a hydration bladder with the chest pack and find that does save me time and fumbling while on the stream. It will hold almost as much stuff as my vest and doesn't shift around nearly as much. On warm days the chest pack keeps me a little cooler too. Not looking to part with the vest, but it probably has some dust on it right now.

One benefit of a chest pack that I never hear anybody mention comes in to play when nature calls. You know the drill, you waddle over to the side of the stream after having let your bladder fill to painful proportions while making 30+ casts to the big one that is ignoring all offerings. You get there and find a place to lean the rod and a branch to hang your wader belt from while you attempt to not sprinkle on your expensive waders. With a chest pack, you just lace the belt through one of the shoulder straps and you've saved a step.

If I can just find a way to secure the rod while mid-stream, maybe I can gain revenge on the fish...

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.