View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tenkara. Anyone try it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyboy View Post
MOJO,

I have heard of people that have used conventional rods to cast flyline...and it works. I may drag out a few different rods and try this for myself. I have a 4 1/2' spinning rod that may work in some tight spots.

I like a challenge...I may tie a small section of flyline to a breambuster and try it!

I have met people using flygear with a live cricket on the end...with no trouble casting. From what I could see, the rods looked to be 8'-9', probably a 5wt or 6wt.

I have heard of people (using a regular flyfishing outfit) that only cast the leader to trout in a very small stream. Is this really any different than someone simply using a breambuster with a fly tied on the end? If I were fishing in a stream marked "flies only" (we have these in NC) and I only had conventional gear, I'd simply forego the expense of flygear and purchase a breambuster and a handful of flies...as long as the fishing is close range!

I'm not knocking Tenkara, or any other forms of angling. I'm merely entertaining different forms of tossing flies.

That reminds me...is it possible to tie a similar lenght of flyline to a flyrod tip and see how it compares to a Tenkara rod?

Cheers,

Robert
As info- no real Tenkara rigs use fly line.

As mentioned above, it would be too heavy and its tendency to droop would interfere with being able to "dapple" the fly.

Tenkara lines are either furled mono or fluorocarbon. This adds enough weight (compared to monofilament) to aid casting, but not so much as to cause droop.

Another benefit of these materials compared to a fly line is the ability to fish deep. Tenkara works quite well for czech nymphing style fishing where the fly is straight down from the rod tip. If you've got a 3' mono tippet on 9' of fly line, fishing 6' deep ain't happening.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.