View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 10:34 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Terminology

I've always heard Lunker as a term for large bass, does this apply to other fish as well? I didn't see it elsewhere on the list.
Wiper - another name for a striped bass hybrid

From the saltwater side:
Specks are another name for sea-trout, at least in my area.
Silver King is a tarpon
Jumping a tarpon, to answer Milt's question from a few months back, is somewhere between a hook and a landing, and a bonus if you also land the fish. Some tarpon will jump the instant they are hooked, while others run deep.
Bowing to the King is what you do when a tarpon jumps; this is the action you see where an angler pushes his rod toward the fish so as to not have a perfect aerial venue for watching your lure come flying out of the tarpon's mouth because of the tension.
Baitstealers - encountered when fishing with bait and pretty self-explanatory, though not always; these can be fish or weeds, anything that manages to extricate your bait from your hook without replacing said bait with its jaws

I saw it mentioned earlier, but is this list still being compiled into a more digestible format? I have a lot of free internet time on my hands in the evenings while still in Sweden until mid-August... that's what happens when you don't have any fishing gear on hand...