View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AFFTA Joins TU in Opposing Bill that would Trash America's Backcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Once a wildfire goes through and spreads to the wilderness areas that pretty much changes the character of the area to doesn't it?Yes it does change it, but over time regeneration takes place. I still don't understand why people are acting like this is going into wildlife areas. Because it is. It says BLM managed land that does not fit the criteria of wilderness areas. It's not like they are talking about putting a highway into the BWCA for God's sake. Are you saying that primitive area's like Frank Church, The Grand Tetons, or The Uintah's are less important than the BWCA?By the way do you remember when a major chunk of the BWCA burnt to the ground? Yes I do. Even spent a lot of time in the Island Park area when Yellowstone was on fire.Or the fires that wiped out so much of the Rockies not that many years back. My brothers house was less than 300 yards from the fire when Travelers insurance called him and said they were dropping him. They didn't get away with it, but nevertheless. Think back. You have huge areas in Montana with Beetle kill. Do you think it's wise to just let it set there till it's hit with lighning and burns down along with the surrounding healthy forest? Isn't it possible to take care of these issues without more roads? Or using existing roads for crews to access if clearing needs to be done?
Even with more roads into the "buffer zones", fires in primitive area's are going to run wild
so your point holds no water, because we are not talking about those areas.Along with towns that happen to get in the way?
I think the whole point of this legislation is to allow more access to commercial logging and deforestation, gas well drilling, and mtn top strip mining rather than the ability to fight forest fires.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I missed the part where someone called you an idiot. Where was that at?
Never said anyone called me an Idiot, I was referring more to the point of where discussions of this nature end up going, instead of staying on the topic they usually digress to name calling. I'm challenging myself, you and others to have a rational, well thought out discussion.

Please answer my question to your statement from above; How is the opinion of TU and AFFTA on this subject completely inaccurate?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 07-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.