View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Re: saltwater reel, okuma slv?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
You might be able to get away with some of the freshwater tackle you already have. As long as the wind is reasonable and you don't throw huge flies you could probably get away with a 7WT.
You will be pushing the limits of a 7WT combo in saltwater conditions but it's only for two weeks and if you do any largemounth fishing the rest of the year the 7WT will get plenty of use there.
Will you be in the surf, on a boat or in a back bay type of scenario?
so ill be fishing in a place called mudd lake, my dad owns property on this lake (soon to be a house there, ike destroyed it) it goes west side of trinity bay, taylor lake, then mudd lake. the big trout and reds dont come in till fall, theyll just be coming around when i get there, maybe a bit later with the drought texas is having. so my guess is ill jut be catching rat reds off his dock and if the evening is nice ill go into taylor lake and catch some slot red and trout off the boat. if i can fit 125yd on my reel im sure that will be enough. ive only been spooled 2 times in my life. one of those was a dolphin, and the other i have no clue but i could not turn the thing, maybe an AJ.