View Single Post
Old 07-27-2011, 12:08 PM

dt doug will become famous soon enoughdt doug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The Broken Rod Poll; Edited, New Catagory added.

This may be worse than a broken rod. I was going to the Adirondacks with college friends for a week of hiking, canoeing, and since I was the only one who fished, a little fishing. My dad let me take his 7' 4 wt. Leonard Duracane bamboo rod. I also had my rod, an LL Bean pack rod. One evening I hit one of the local trout ponds, rigged up my rod with a wet line and brought the Leonard out in the canoe, just in case there some surface action later. That wispy little rod is fun with any size fish. I left in it's case for safe keeping. As the sun settled beyond the tree tops a few fish began working the surface so I took out the Leonard. I laid the tip section across the gunwales and then took out the butt section. When I looked up.... OH (fill in the blank)!!!!! No rod tip in sight. It was now dusk and the water was about 30 ft. if I remember and very discolored. No chance of diving for it. I had a baggie that I put a few small stones in, tied it to my leader and with a streamer dragged the area as best I could until everything, sky, water, and trees were the same color, black. You know how when you dread something so bad it screws with your nerves and you feel like puking and/or crying and you have a mild case of the shakes that never stop! Well if you don't, drop a section of you old mans favorite bamboo rod in 30 ft. of water and drive home for 4 hrs. thinking about it the whole way. Well the drive was way worse than actually telling him what happened. This rod had come with two tips and Leonard built a new tip section to replace the lost one. The rod and I survived to fish another day.