View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New world record 128lb Yellowfin on fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Was that a tippet class record? I would think larger ones have been landed on fly rods with bigger line. The all tackle WR was taken last year(?) on the Pacific coast of Mexico, a little over 400 lbs. if memory serves. milt.
The all tackle Yellow Fin Tuna is a 388 pound fish. I promise you there is no way you are getting a fish like that on a fly rod. I fished for these fish quite a bit in my younger years. I have seen fish half that big peel 130lb line off a rod like it was hooked on a Russian Sub. That's the biggest one ( the 128 ) ever caught on a fly rod by 21 pounds. Truthfully I find it amazing he did it. All I can say is he had a good captain and a fast boat, plus the right stupid Tuna that decided not to head to the bottom and spool him going straight down. I was in a boat once with two other guys. One was driving the boat, the other was puking his heels up over the side. We had a double of 130 and 160. I fought the closest fish first, which was believe it or not was the 160. The 130 put up a much better fight. I was sore for days and got the worst black eye you have ever seen when the 160 did a tail walk when the guy driving the boat gaffed it, handed the gaff to and hit myself in the eye with the end of the handle. I think some of you are drastically underestimating the power of these fish. On a side note I have never seen one over about 250 and that was a rare fish. My biggest was a 190. It sure wasn't on a fly rod either.