View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 10:04 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mini Practice Fly Rod

As you probably know, the Echo MPR (Micro Practice Rod) is a copy of the Wulff Fly-O Practice Rod, invented by Lee and Joan Wulff. The Wulff fly-O used a section of red tow yarn for the line. The Echo MPR uses a section of yellow macrame cord whipped to a section of tow yarn for the leader section. I have an MPR that I use for demos.

Back in the late 1970's I used just a length of tow yarn and the top section of a two piece light spinning rod. You can also use the top half of a fly rod to practice.

There is really no need to even make a special rod when using tow yarn or macrame cord to simulate the fly line. If you have some macrame cord or something similar, you might want to give that a try before spending the money on an MPR.

There is also another casting tool called a "Spey-O in this issue of The Loop.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy