View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Building a fly rod with whatever bits and pieces you could lay your hands on

Last week I worked a lot at home with odd jobs and in the garden...cleaning and trimming the hedges...Larry told me I worked like a slave ...So on Friday morning I decided it was time for a break. I brought back electric hedge clippers to my neighbour and when I was in his garden I noticed some bamboos in a corner.-Can I take one?
-Help yourself.What are you going to do with it?
-Well...a fly rod!
On Friday afternoon I started building the rod.I took the handle and reel seat of the Cortland I had broken last year,some guides from an old broken Marryat,some thread I found in the garage...
I sanded the bamboo and cut it the size I wanted,fixed the handle,then the guides.Unfortunately I broke the tip when putting the last guide....was not going to stop!!!I cut a piece of the Marryat graphite tip and here we go!!!Finally found a varnish spray in the garage and by seven the rod was ready to fish.So here it is:a 7’2 UNsplit boographite 4wt one piece rod jpb tapper.
That was a funny experience and I had a great time but the most amazing thing is that I tested the rod on Saturday and it casts very well.Hope Joni,Auntie Em,Dan,Lee and all the forum rod builders….will accept my apology.
Click the image to open in full size.