View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 AM

DAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enoughDAVY WOTTON will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Type of Fly & Rod for Trout

Good question and one of course that is very much related to personal preference.

So far as the rod is concerned for trout fishing in general l would choose a 5wt for very many reasons. The main one is simply related to versatility, in that l can use more or less any method that l choose, which a 3 wt would not allow. For example l cannot use larger flies, techniques that demand a weight addition, and dealing with adverse wind conditions, not to mention dealing with large fish in fast water situations, and many more reasons.
Overall l would prefer a 10ft rod, but 9, would work fine.

One fly only, for me has to be a hares ear nymph, provided l can have that in different sizes and some variations in the tying, like a regular gold ribbed, soft hackle.
The reason why l choose it is this.

There is not a river in the world l have fished that that fly has not caught me fish.
It is overall a great representation of many food sources. I can fish it deep and it may be used as a emerger/dry, etc.

Cliff, the soft hackle that you like is a fly of Welsh origin, darned if l can recall the name of it, let you know when l do.

Tight lines guys,

Davy

AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS OF FLY FISHING

WHITE RIVER FLY FISHISHING GUIDE SERVICE

EDITORIAL AND CONSULTANCY FOR FLY FISHING PRODUCTS-PUBLICATIONS