View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default As if I need another expensive hobby...

So I would like to get into tying my own flies, and I have been advised not to just buy a full fly tying kit. The threads in the FAQ include discussion of tools, but I found nothing with regard to a comparison of vises. Is the Cabela's deluxe tool kit a safe way to get a start? Is the vice included a decent one? I do not need the top of the line gear, and I'd prefer to save money, but I would like to start tying in earnest. Basically, I don't want to drop $200 just to get started. I am living on a graduate student budget, so any tips on how to get started in an affordable way would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...