Thread: Great Products
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Great Products

Very interesting observation, Allan. Do think that this "self release" has happened more than enough times to not call this a coincidence? I just cannot figure out how the net material would cause the fish to spit a hook! But I will venture on guess.

The stiffer basket of the plastic net gives more support to the fish. Plus you have the Firehole, which is a true "C&R" style net, meaning a long shallow basket. This supports the fish better, keeping them lying on their side in a relatively prone fashion (if indeed a fish can be prone...I know, this is getting weird!) and not sagging deeply into the net and curling into a "fish fetal" position.

So how does this make the fish remove the hook? I can almost imagine that the supported body of the fish helps by easing the tension on a taut leader because the fish isn't sagging and struggling in the net, when the leader tension on the hook goes slack the barbless hook is "spit" or shaken loose. Does anyone buy that?

You should send Brodin an email and see what they think.