View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 01:40 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

The five weight. This is the rod in which one has to make the decision to have an old school click and pawl or a modern disk drag. Think of it this way. If you plan to fight the fish with the rod and only need enough drag to keep the reel from free spooling, go with a click and pawl reel. If you plan on using a drag system to complement the rod when fighting a fish, a disk drag is very helpful.

I am part of the click and pawl group. Like Ard mentioned, the LRH Lightweight would be the better reel. It will balance the rod better.

If you don't mind spending some extra coin, consider an Abel TR2. It is an American made click and pawl reel that you can pass down to generations. I use one on my 5 weight Z-Axis as my slime line stillwater reel. Brand new, a TR2 in black costs $270. You can find one used under $200.

If you want to spend a bit more, consider an Abel Creek Large Arbor 2.

Dennis