View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 07:00 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Featherweight, Lamson Guru, Orvis BattenKill LA, or Orvis CFO or

Orvis has the BBS IV on sale right now for $129. While it's no longer made in England, it's a very good reel: machined, handsome, drag with a clicker, lightweight, and holds plenty of backing for a 5wt line. Orvis assigns line weights to their reels that are entirely unrealistic IMO. Orvis says the BBS III will hold a 7wt line, but it has a narrow 3" spool. I've owned made in England BBS reels, and the line designations were lower back then. The BBS IV has a 3 3/8" spool that's about .75" wide. That's dandy for a 5wt, and I had one on my 590 Z-Axis. The Z-Axis has a U-20 Struble reel seat, and many reels have a foot that is too thick to fit well. The Orvis fits perfectly. Buying a new Orvis gives you a lifetime money back guarantee, and that might be something to consider as well.