View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: As if I need another expensive hobby...

As usual, Larry's advice is sound. Just get a nice simple, solid vise to start out. Another option is the Griffin 1A, Griffin Fly Tying: Superior 1A Vise | eBay

A good scissor, bobin, whip finisher will get you started for tools.

If you save money on an inexpensive but quality vise, you will have more to spend on feathers and fur, beads, hooks, tinsel, wire, thread, floss, yarn, antron, dubbing...and so many other materials that you never knew existed! I hate to guess how much more money I have invested in materials than in my HMH vise.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

To follow up that thought...I've only ever had two vises over the past 15 years of tying. The one I started on, a functional but not perfect tool, and the one I bought to replace it and still use today.