View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever have a bird attack you while fly fishing?

I often have little bug eating birds dive at dry flies, but it was until last month that I caught a duck! I either posted the story here, or sent it to Ard. The duck was just shy of being ready to fly, and I was casting at a shadowy bank. The little sucker splashed out, and grabbed my fly. I had to reel him across the stream (at least 60 feet), and the mother duck was flipping out. The mother duck made the release take much longer, as she was pushing the young duck under water once it was within 15 feet of me. The hook was in the upper part of the beak, and once I was able to get a hold of the leader, it only took a second to get the hook out. My fear was that it was hooked in its tongue! That took swam underwater downstream about 75 feet before it popped back up top. The whole brood gathered back together across the stream, and steamed downstream at full speed. CRAZY!!!!

My wife and I were on the Little Lehigh Creek late last September, and the light was fading fast. The bats were coming out, and I told my wife they were hummingbirds. I've had hawks dive out of nowhere, and snatch fish out of the water very close to me. That's a spectacular sight!