View Single Post
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Fly Swap Guidelines

Hi to all,

I have started a new thread about this subject so it doesn't interfere with the Spring Fling swap.

There has been a question asked about the $3.00 sent with your flies so the Meister isn't out any money. There are cost and time associated with being a fly swap Meister. I am looking for input about changing the guide lines. Should it be less money? Should I add: "or send a self address, stamped envelope"? Should we reduce it to $2.00? I would appreciate your thoughts.

I do have a problem that sending a self address, stamped envelop does not off set the time, gas and sometimes postage spent by the Meister. In the case of the two swaps that Joni was the Meister everybody got a pretty good package.

I have posted the Fly Swap Guidelines below. Looking for any comments about the guides lines. Not just the $3.00 question.

Frank

What is a fly swap?

The purpose of a fly swap is to allow a number of NAFFF members to swap flies with each other to exchange ideas and techniques.

A fly swap consists of 10 or 12 members who agree to tye the appropriate number of flies and swap them with each other. Anyone can start a thread asking about a fly swap. One of the participants will voulunter to be a SwapMesiter. A fly swap will usually require the flies to be a certain type such as Dry Fly, Wet Fly, Nymph, Streamer or any classification of fly that the SwapMesiter and participants agree to. Joining a fly swap has some responsibility. Each member and the SwapMesiter need to enter into the swap with good intentions and fulfill their obligations.

The following outlines the Fly Swap procedure:

1. Any member can post a request to organize a fly swap and suggest a type of fly to tye.

2. Other members interested in the fly swap will reply to the post and agree on the type of fly to tye.

3. One of the members will volunteer to be a SwapMesiter.

4. The SwapMesiter will determine the number of tyers required and state in a post the number of flies to tye and the date the flies have to be mailed to the SwapMesiter. The SwapMesiter will be responsible to keep everyone notified of the status of the swap and issue a weekly reminder of the due date. The SwapMesiter will notify the members of his/her address by PM or Email.

5. Each member of the fly swap will tye the designated number of flies that the SwapMesiter has stated and mail their flies to the SwapMesiter by the established date. The flies will be in a small plastic or metal container. The tyer will include their name and address with $3.00 for return postage. It is convent for the recipient of the flies, but not necessary, if the flies are tagged with the name of the fly and the NAFFF screen name of the tyer.

6. The SwapMesiter will separate the flies and mail each participant one each of the flies sent in by the other members of the swap. So if there are 12 members you will receive one fly from each member of the swap or 11 flies. Any money not used for postage by the SwapMesiter will be retained by the SwapMesiter for his/her efforts.

7. It would be nice if each member would post a picture of his fly and the recipe in the fly swap thread but not required.

The fly swap is intended to be fun and to see what other tiers are doing. It is about sharing recipes and maybe even making friends. No one is expecting to see expo quality flies. I think its more about tying flies that catch fish and not how good they are tyed. Sometimes you see good ideas that you had not thought about doing.

Lots of experience is not necessary to participate in a fly swap. To all of you new tyers who lack confidence and is afraid that their flies may not be as good as someone else, join a swap, it will be well worth your time and effort.