Thread: Abel Reels
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abel Reels

True confession time.

I gave my wife an Abel 5N (large arbor, narrow spool configuration) for her 5 wt. rod just after Christmas. It was a recommendation from my local Fly shop. I myself usually fish a Ross Evolution 2.0 on my 5 wt. and I like it just fine.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I swapped rods with her and, man, that Abel is a really nice reel! It simply feels like a quality instrument. Both with line coming in and going out. The drag is silky smooth and the feel is simply solid and confidence building.

Based on this very limited experience (I'm almost ready to give her rod back to her), I think that Abel reels are probably well worth the money. As for me, I'm now headed for an Abel Creek for my 7'6" 3 wt., which I use for small stream fishing - and I'm really looking forward to getting on the water with it!