View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 09:04 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Airflow Line - Fast Action

I too don't take line color too seriously as I try not to let the fish see it. Regarding Airflo (or any other brand)...you have to cast different lines with any rod to clearly ascertain which enhaces performance the most, it is the match-up more than the "best" line. In any event; I think RIO Gold is a very good line on Z-Axis, a better loader and more delicate presenter than too clunky and short rear-tapered GPX. Airflo Ridge works well on the Sage but delivers with a harsher kick. A better 1/2 size heavy line might be RIO's Grand but it is no delicay champ either. Z-Axis does NOT need to be overlined. Airflo has a new Ridge model, the Rangefinder, with a very long head-rear taper combo that I am trying on a fast 5-weight with posative results. All modern fly lines take some maintanance and I have found the newer RIOI's to hold up much better than earlier models. SA is still at the forfront of fly line chemistry and Airflo, who's tapers have been lagging has dynamicly progressed with input from some notable American anglers. To reiterate, and I know it is hard and expensive to do (try getting together with a group from you local fishing club and swap lines on your like sized rods), trying several different lines sid-by-side is the only way to fine tune a rods performance.