View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your Favorite Fishing Tale Tales

I just returned from attending a family reunion where my uncle related a story of he and my dad from a time when I was very young. They traveled to one of my father's favorite spots to fish for trout. Upon arrival, my uncle got his gear out and was waiting by the shore of the small pond they were going to be fishing. My father lagged back a bit and then appeared with a handful of odd items, which included M-80's and baby food jars.

He handed an empty jar to my uncle and told him to unscrew the cap after which he lit an M-80, dropped it in the baby food jar and told my uncle to screw on the cap and throw it into the pond! That's how they spent the day fishing...

My dad always seemed to be a pretty ethical sportsman, but my uncle swears this story was the truth. Here I am at 55 years old and had never heard the story before, but...

...as a Boy Scout I did hear the story about the local guy in town who was always successful on a particular lake in bringing in a limit of fish every time he went out. The Game Warden finally had enough and asked if he could accompany the fellow to see what tactics or techniques he was using. The fellow agreed and they met at the lake the next morning. After arriving by boat at the angler's favorite fishing hole, he lit a stick of dynamite and threw it in the water. Following the resultant explosion and with fish rising to the surface the Game Warden, very flustered and angry, told the guy that this was illegal, whereupon the fellow lit another stick of dynamite, shoved it into the Game Warden's hand and calmly asked, "You gonna talk or fish?"

After hearing the story from my uncle at the reunion, I can't help but think where the tall tale may have originated...

What Tall Tales from the outdoors do you have to share?

Kelly.