View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: what are your priorities when buying a rod?

My $.02

do you find fly rods generally too expensive? Yes but you get what you pay for and used you can get great savings. There are alot of people here in Colorado who buy top end gear and end up selling it without using it alot. I acquire alot of rods in the winter when the rivers are frozen over and guys are selling off stuff after Christmas.

is location of the manufacturer important to you? Yes absolutely, mostly from a standpoint of warranty breakage return and secondly support the American workers as much as possible.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand? Yes, I have and do. I know what sort of rod wieght / action I prefer and if a rod is widely viewed as a good rod I will buy it. When you start talking Scott, Sage,Orvis they are all fine rods some just prefer one brand over another. If I am paying retail I will test cast it but not afraid to buy a "top end" used rod without trying it.

would you purchase a rod online? Online from a local shop yes, ebay or the likes not unless I was getting a screaming deal.

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience? to many to choose from. I am a gear junky so I own 12 rods and fish 1 or 2 of them 99% of the time.