Re: Best rivers near St. John's
I don't know about the St John's area but here are some ideas about fly fishing lessons.
1. Contact the recreation department of your Parks department. They may be called something else in your area but most places have someone that controls the local parks.
2. Find a FFF or Trout Unlimited club and join. They all have lesson's for members.
3. Go to the largest fly shop in the area. Many times they give group lessons. Sometimes if you buy your fly tying tools and materials from them they will give you a few lessons. You may have to negotiate something.
4. Buy fly tying DVD's about the type of fly tying your are interested in.
5. Buy a good fly tying book for beginners to get started and then a book on the type of flies you are interested in.
To get started it only takes 1 or 2 lessons. They will show you the basic techniques that you need to tye simple flies. You can then build on those techniques.