View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many kind of fish do you target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
dan,
i was wondering if i could find these guys here in the chicagoland area?
if so, what kind of gear might i use? im assuming a 4 or 5 weight rod would suffice.
and what about fly selection?

casey
I looked and they have them listed as an Illinois species, but they have no state record for them. That may just mean nobody has tried to turn one in for the record. A 4 or 5 wt is plenty big enough for them. The best flies I have found are small white may fly imitations. We have hatches of them all summer long. You can watch them pick them off the surface as they drift down the river. I'm sure you can find a similar type thing there if you have mooneye. Try calling your local fisheries office and ask them where the nearest river is with Mooneye. Here are some of the flies that work for me.
Click the image to open in full size.