View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you throw?

Well.....Are your buggers going deep enough? I tie my own, and weight them according to the depths needed. It takes quite a bit of weight to get a bugger down 3-4 feet if you're fishing streams with moving water. Lakes are easier: let them sink, and then strip back at varying rates until you find one that works. My buggers all have two strips of gold flashabou on each side of the tail, and they also have bead chain eyes. The bead chain eye buggers are killers! I have buggers without eyes or beads for use with bamboo rods, and they don't produce nearly as well as those with eyes.

So...Your friend has flash on his spinner. Do your buggers have flash? Your friend's spinners can go deep without any problem. How deep are your buggers going, and how deep are the trout holding. Size makes a difference as well, and I usually go smaller when a pattern isn't working.

You can't see the bead chain eyes in this photo, but this is the bugger I use 99% of the time (Size #10):
Click the image to open in full size.

There are other flies you can try as well. Nymphs like a gold ribbed hare's ear work well, and even a Green Weenie will produce nice results. I sometimes tie a Green Weenie off the back of a bugger when fishing for trout, and it's 50/50 as to which fly the trout will take.

Last edited by FrankB2; 08-24-2011 at 11:16 PM.