View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you throw?

This is probably a thread best for Mojo and Joni since they love stillwater fishing. I will try to give you some direction.

Stillwater fishing to me is a depth game. Once you figure out the depth then you are set. I am a big fan of multiple rods rigged with different lines (floating, slow sink, fast sink). That way you can be prepared for multiple presentations.

In regards to what the fish are chasing, there are more food sources than buggers. Learn some basic stillwater entomology. If you know the food sources, you can make a stillwater fly box. Read this article on Callibaetis and this article on blood midges.

As for stripping flies, try different variations. It is all trial and error. Some fish like fast stripped flies. Some like slow. Some will respond to a pause.

Hang in there. To be realistic, it is hard to beat metal although it can be done. Eventually you will figure out the best routine to get yourself some fish.

Dennis