View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Green River Utah

I floated the A section two weeks ago and the flows were at 2,000 CFS bumping to 3,000 CFS at night. I haven't been down section B this year, but can tell you that the water level has now returned to normal summer flows. Section B has one big rapid called Red Creek Rapids, it is a class III. I used a guide to show me how to navigate down it last year and then I floated it myself the next day. The big issue with that rapid is that the entire center of the river is cut off so the only routes down are the far left and the far right. The issue with the far right is that it has a shear rock wall on the far rightt and bigger standing waves so most beginners are advised to take the left route. There is a big pool just before you reach the rapids with a sign advising of the rapod, but the sound will definitely get your attention, pull off on the left side and scout the rapid and you will see the route on the left. If you still feel uncomfortable with it, you can portage down the left side of the river and put in at the bottom. I was using a drift boat so that wasn't an option. I don't think the C section has any rapids to worry about. The thing that I find interesting about the B section is that last year we caught all Brown trout with the exception of one rainbow, where the A section is usually just the opposite. Good luck and be sure to post a report on your trip.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakkid View Post
I'm putting together a trip to the Green River below Flaming Gorge for mid-September. Plan to do this in SOT kayaks.

Does anyone have experience with Sections B and C or lower? Concerned with rapids and ability of SOT's to ride it out with the higher water this year. I hear the Class 3's in section B can be a bit tricky.

Thanks for the input. And if anyone is interested in joining, they are more than welcome.