View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gear for fly fishing the surf

Here are some additional suggestions from members that fly fish the surf:

From chuck s:

Go with the first basket shown in the how to video--with the deluxe bungees it almost $5! Those like you show do not drain and can pull you down if swamped and the belt doesn't give. For fishing flats and very mild surf the solid baskets are fine. The basket I show here: Carp--flyfishing for freshwater Redfish!

is very expensive at around $3 or so and uses weed whip line angled toward the corners to allow good shooting while keeping the coils seperated. For those of us fishing surf and esp jetties we've found that you might want to leave a less hardy rod at home and go for something that will take a beating--especially jetty, rock hoppers! Mine was an old Ugly Stick 8 weight! Go with a very light vest or lanyard or better yet just a tech shirt with a few extra pockets as the surf is a place to lose tackle if and when a wave swamps you!

I carry tippet, a releaser, a cheap Boga knock off and a few extra flies as well as a throw away pair of nippers and a few flies. While in the surf, I just have the releaser, such as this: ARC Dehooker, Inc.

but I make my own and a cheap pair of needle nose pliers. I carry a gal or two of fresh water to give things a quik rinse after getting out or the water and then take all to the shower once home.

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

And from Rip Tide:

I've gone through a bunch of stripping baskets over the years and found that both solid and perforated baskets have their uses. In fact for a while I carried one of each in the truck. One made of a Rubbermaid tub and one made from a supermarket shopping basket.

Most recently I've stuck with only the solid basket. In the surf I can tip it up to deflect waves and once, when the sandbar I was standing on eroded away, I used it as a floatation device until I got back to solid ground.
Having done my share of fishing at night, I find that white is the best color for a basket as it makes a good background when tying on a fly or picking out a wind knot in the dark.

I've never cared for the "fingers" or loops made of weed wacker material as it makes it impossible to carry or store any gear in the basket and in my experience the loops cause more tangles than they solve. About 8 years ago I came up with an alternative that's worked out very well for me.
Wire nuts.
They're held with stainless screws and washers and a squirt of Goop to protect the springs. 8 years of use and still going strong.

Click the image to open in full size.

If you fish where there's toothy critters, it's a good idea to have a Boga type grip. But those things are heavy and expensive. Not something you ever want to carry while surf fishing.
I use one of these Fish Grips. They're like 10 bucks, they float, and I can carry it clipped to my wading belt
Rather than official fishing pliers, I use a pair of regular needle-nose. I carrying them, along with my file, in a homemade
double holster of sheet foam. A few squirts of 3-in-1 into the holster keeps them both rust-free

and from Oarfish:

As long as you asked, I like to take along a paddling jacket (dry shirt) to keep my upper half dry and water outa the waders.

Rick

Last edited by peregrines; 08-26-2011 at 02:17 PM.